Santa Hat cupcakes are one of the easiest Christmas-themed cupcake frostings. Use good quality gel-based food colour. Don’t fret about the frosting not being red enough. Gel colours deepen over time. Also, this is an eggless recipe 🙂
Check out my Christmas specials feature on Parent Circle.com https://www.parentcircle.com/article/supereasy-christmas-dessert-recipes/
For the eggless red velvet cupcake:
All-purpose flour – 2 cups
Buttermilk – 1 cup
Vegetable oil – ⅓ cup
Powdered Sugar – 1 cup
Cocoa powder – 1 tbsp
Vinegar – 1 tbsp
Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
Red Gel Colour – 4 drops
Baking soda – ¾ tsp
Salt – a pinch
For the red buttercream frosting:
Powdered sugar – 3 cups
Unsalted butter – ⅓ cup
Vanilla – 1½ tsp
Milk – 2 tbsp
Red Gel Food Colour – 4-5 drops
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a muffin tray with cupcake moulds/liners of your choice
- Whisk the buttermilk, vinegar, oil, vanilla and food colour. Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake moulds. Bake for 20-25 minutes depending on the size of the moulds.
- While the cupcakes cool down, prepare the frosting by whisking together the butter and powdered sugar until creamy. Add the vanilla and milk. Whisk again.
- Take ¼th of the icing and put it in a piping bag with a star tip, or a tip of your choice.This will be used for the white parts of the hat.
- Add the red food colour to the remaining of the frosting and put it all into a large piping bag. You do not need a decorative tip for this.
- Let the red frosting sit in the refrigerator for a while for the red colour to deepen.
- Snip the end of the red piping bag and swirl around the cooled cupcakes to form a hat.
- Take the white frosting and add a blob on the tip of the cupcake and the edges.
- Let them set in the refrigerator for a bit before serving.